Reuters govt editor Gina Chua has acquired the Impression Award from the On-line Information Affiliation.
The Impression Award honors a trailblazing particular person whose work in digital journalism and dedication to innovation displays a considerable impression on the business. The ONA Board of Administrators selects honorees no matter their tenure in journalism.
Chua was named govt editor of Reuters in April 2021. Beforehand she was world managing editor of operations, managing editorial operations, budgets, administration, security and safety for a 2,300-person newsroom; she works intently with the information journalism and graphics groups, and with the know-how and R&D groups to construct newsroom capabilities and instruments. At Reuters, she created the award-winning Linked China challenge, and drove improvement of its social media verification software, Tracer.
Right here’s a have a look at a number of of her accomplishments over the previous 30 years.
Innovation in visualization
- Chua spearheaded an interactive multimedia challenge for Reuters referred to as Linked China. The app combines deep analysis and social community evaluation to map political energy in China.
- As Editor on the South China Morning Put up, she developed a number of on-line sources:
- CitizenMap, a crowd-sourced hub that allowed readers to report and discover the extent of environmental injury in Hong Kong.
- Who Runs Hong, an interactive database that visualized and revealed relationships, backgrounds and ties amongst Hong Kong’s elite.
- Chua led the graphics workforce on the Wall Road Journal and was integral in recruiting prime expertise to construct a strong, award-winning interactive graphics workforce at Reuters.
- As a newsroom supervisor, she has mentored quite a few journalists and helped them develop their careers. She has been particularly devoted to supporting journalists inquisitive about graphics, knowledge and innovation.
- In the course of the Covid-19 pandemic, Chua was liable for procuring huge quantities of protecting gear, together with 1000’s of N95 masks from all over the world, to distribute to colleagues. She developed protocols for workers to comply with when masking hospitals and occasions to make sure security.
Dedication to the way forward for journalism
- Chua has served as a board member of the Institute for Nonprofit Information and several other different nonprofit information organizations.
- Chua is presently engaged on the Tiny Information Collective, an initiative to offer instruments, sources, and know-how to assist folks construct sustainable information organizations that mirror and serve their communities.
- She speaks often at worldwide conferences on sustainability, enterprise fashions, innovation and know-how.
- Chua writes about methods to rethink and restructure the enterprise of journalism on Construction of Information.